Paris keeps popping up in my life, like a dear friend who keeps tugging at my sleeve as if to say, look at me! And since I’ve always believed that everything happens for a reason, I’m noticing all these references to the city of lights for a purpose. What purpose? I’m not sure… I’ll count them down for you, then you tell me if it means anything.
1. A friend of mine took her three children on a fabulous vacation to Paris and has been posting photos of them, at the Eiffel Tower and more, throughout the past week on Facebook. Lovely photos and I look at them and sigh. I can just hear the Edith Piaf in the background.
2. A friend is visiting my neck of the woods and we met for lunch. She has to excuse herself and when she comes back, she says, “I had to take that call. My daughter is in Paris right now and I don’t want to miss speaking to her.” I heard all about her trip and we discussed Paris for another hour.
3. We decided to go to the movies that afternoon, my friend and I. What did we see? You guessed it, Midnight in Paris. A wonderful Woody Allen film that makes Paris even more beautiful and inspiring. I want to go even more now, only I want to be transported back to the 1920’s while I’m there. He met Hemingway and Fitzgerald, for goodness sake. How cool is that?
4. I started a new book this week in anticipation of the movie, Sarah’s Key. This is about the Nazi’s right? Well, guess where the main character lives? You guessed it, Paris. The sights and smells, the old apartment owned by her husband’s grandmother with ancient plumbing and quaint cafe on the corner. I can smell the coffee already. I can taste the wine and hear the cobblestones beneath my feet.
5. I had lunch with a friend a few days ago. I haven’t seen her in a few weeks, she’s been busy remodeling her home. She’s decided to take her kids on a vacation this summer before they get too old. They are going….wait for it….you guessed it! Europe, including Paris! What the heck? I’m so happy for her and she’s so excited, but I had to ask myself, did I put that in her head? I carry Paris around with me now in my pocket. I hear it every day, I see it when I close my eyes. I think people feel Paris when they are around me, or is it the other way around?
Am I looking for it, or is it calling me? I don’t have an opportunity to travel to Paris unless I make one. Nobody is inviting me over, there are no writers’ conferences with cheap airfare, so what’s the deal?
I have come to believe that my book must have Paris in it. I am being called to breathe, write, imagine and live Paris through my writing. For now, I will watch all the movies I can with Paris, I will keep reading all I can, and I will wait for the call that I’ve won the wonderful, all-expense paid trip to Paris to write in a small apartment overlooking a cafe with chic, artsy people who welcome me every morning with my laptop and conversation. Don’t wake me just yet!
Thanks to publicdomainphotos.com for the Eiffel Tower shot. Someday…